#1 of 15Toronto - CTO & Backend - PressureNet
We're building high-accuracy weather forecasts using barometers in smartphones. You will architect and build our server infrastructure to collect, store, analyze and distribute this data. We currently receive 5M measurements per day from 400,000 devices and are scaling quickly. The data comes from crowdsourcing apps like PressureNet: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ca.cumulonimbu...
Our current server is in Python, using Django, hosted on AWS, and is open source: https://github.com/Cbsoftware/PressureNet-server
You will have the freedom to choose new technology if you see fit. Eventually, you will also work with our Numerical Weather Prediction team to take the data you've processed and input it to high-resolution weather models. Machine learning experience would be helpful.
Remote work possible.
Contact: I'm Jacob, CEO, email me: firstname.lastname@example.org
#2 of 15Front-End Software Engineer, Mozilla Foundation
Portland, Toronto, Vancouver. Remote or other Mozilla locations considered for the right candidate.
The Mozilla Foundation is looking for a great front-end developer and all-round good human being for a full-time position. We're looking for someone who can bring some expertise in modern front-end techniques, so experienced Web front-end engineers are preferred. That being said, anyone with experience working on user interfaces, with a passion for detail and a desire to better the world is encouraged to apply.
We're best known for creating Firefox which is used by half a billion users around the world. Our mission is even bigger than just the browser. We are proudly non-profit and our principles ( https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/manifesto/ ) guide our mission to promote openness, innovation and opportunity on the Web.
You will focus on building Web software for a new generation of digital creators and webmakers, giving people the tools and skills they need to move from consuming the Web to actively making the Web. You'll work on software that's translated by an amazing global community into 110 different languages. You'll write software that will be used by people in their first experience of the Internet. Does that get you excited? Ready to css-transform the Web? -- Tell us about it.
#3 of 15Unata (Toronto) - Full-time Unata (unata.com) is a VC-backed, Toronto-based startup in the enterprise retail space. We are building the retail experience of the future. We work with large retailers to power their digital experiences, while personalizing each shopper’s content and offers based on their purchase history. We’re connecting the physical shopping experience with the best of the digital world. We are growing fast and need to scale our core product team. We are looking for the roles below. Current stack Backend: Python (Flask, SQLAlchemy, Celery, Numpy, Pandas), PostgreSQL, Cassandra, Jenkins CI, Redis, Memcached, CentOS Frontend (including Mobile): Angular.js, Sass, Grunt - Back-end developer - Python experience, intermediate/sr, understanding of service-oriented architectures (more info > bit.ly/1ExBxbe) - Data Science developer - Application development experience, machine learning knowledge & experience, , (more info > bit.ly/1ExBD2l) - QA developer - Test automation, development experince, process minded, familiarity with CI systems like Jenkins, (more info > bit.ly/1ExBCLR) Why you should work for us: - Competitive compensation and stock options, comprehensive health benefits, flexible paid vacation - Relaxed work environment in downtown Toronto (King & Bathurst), Work-from-home-Wednesdays, fun company activities - Opportunity to make a big impact in digital retail! Your work will be seen and used by millions of retail customers!
#4 of 15PagerDuty - San Francisco, CA and Toronto, ON
If you're looking for a start up that's growing quickly solving a real problem rather than selling ads, we're making the process of fixing technology problems better.
We're well-funded and growing like crazy, and currently hiring for engineering (all levels, in San Francisco and Toronto), sales, product, marketing, and everything else. A few highlights:
* Principal data engineer: a Cassandra / distributed systems expert who can help us scale and maximize its reliability (SF or TO)
* Principal security engineer: lead and build our security vision and roadmap (SF or TO)
* Applications / realtime engineering (all levels): join our cross-functional teams in SF or Toronto, ship value, have fun.
* Director of UX: lead and build our UX team (SF). We're also hiring for standard user experience designers.
* Sales (all roles, entry level to senior) (SF)
You'll find them all here: http://www.pagerduty.com/company/work-with-us/
If anything in particular interests you, feel free to email me if you'd like to chat more: email@example.com
#5 of 15http://500px.com, Toronto Downtown, Fulltime
500px is a photo community. Every month, millions of people use the 500px.com website and mobile apps to find and engage with the world’s most inspiring photography.
We value small teams, engineering-friendly culture, beautiful design and getting shit done. Our technology stack includes: RoR, Go, Backbone/Marionette, Elastic Search, Chef, AWS, Hadoop, Python for Machine Learning. Check out https://github.com/500px, http://developers.500px.com/.
We are looking for:
What we offer:
- Senior/Intermediate Web Developers to help us solve scalability challenges, build beautiful UI/UX, improve search and rating algorithms, implement machine learning and vision solutions. - Senior/Intermediate Mobile Developers to help us build 500px iOS and Android mobile products for capturing, editing, licensing and engaging with beautiful photography.
Apply here: http://500px.com/jobs
- hard technical challenges - competitive salaries - flexible work hours - unlimited vacation - free lunches - medical insurance - computer/laptop of your choice
#6 of 15QUESTRADE INC. | SENIOR FRONT END ENGINEER | TORONTO, CANADA OR REMOTE Questrade is a rapidly growing online financial service firm in Canada. Our mission is to help Canadians achieve financial independence by offering our clients with great investment products, cutting edge technologies, and quality customer service throughout. We offer self-directed trading platforms for Do-It-Yourself Investing, as well as professionally managed portfolios at ultra-low fees.
---- ABOUT THE POSITION ---- In a nutshell, the Senior Front End Engineer will see through the full software development life cycle at Questrade; from requirement-gathering, design and development, to implementation of both small and large-scale projects. You will collaborate with our user interface team, our back-end engineers, and other front-end engineers to design and develop functionally rich, robust, and user-friendly web and mobile applications, as defined by business requirements.
---- ABOUT YOU ---- You have hands-on and proficient knowledge of web technologies (such as (such as HTML, CSS3, jQuery, AngularJS, SASS and Node.JS), system environments (Windows and Mac OS X), and tools (MS Visual Studio, Subversion, JIRA), as well as a strong understanding of OOP programming and MVC architecture. You have experience with tools like JSPerf and JSFiddle for performance testing and prototyping, as well as a demonstrated ability to work under minimal supervision.
Wanna know more? Check out this and more of our opportunities: http://www.questrade.com/why-questrade/careers
#7 of 15Toronto, ON; Vaughan, ON || Full stack engineers, Rails, generalists || REMOTE is possible
Nano Magnetics is at the cutting edge of magnet innovation. Driven by a mission to enhance people’s interaction with magnets, Nano is pioneering new ways to merge magnets and technology.
We are a small team of people who have to wear multiple hats every day. Everyone is expected to have an opinion, contribute and be accountable for what they do. You take charge of your time, your knowledge and your work. We encourage transparent communication and asking questions.
Your first task will be rewriting one of our social media style platform site from the ground up in Rails (currently it is in PHP + Doctrine + MySQL).
And even if you aren’t into Rails, get in touch. We are actively searching for general talent to build out our team.
Shoot me a line to discuss at david (at) nanomagnetics.com and mention you found this on HN.
Our office is currently located in Vaughan but we will be moving. Remote applicants can be considered, whether locally or internationally, but should have significant overlap with Eastern Standard Time business hours.
Ideal applicants must have a passion for technology, interactive and web trends, and a general curiosity for magnets.
#8 of 15Firmex Inc. | http://www.firmex.com/company/careers/ | Toronto, ON | Platform Developer, Dev Ops, Sys Admin
We are a Virtual Data Room provider. Thousands of investment banks, law firms, funds and corporations trust Firmex to run their legal deals. Firmex provides the tools needed to manage business critical and sensitive documents while providing full control over access & security.
We want to hire smart people that get the job done, regardless of your previous technology experience. The focus of our development team is on simplicity and we lean strongly towards functional programming ideals. We give our developers guidance and autonomy to get the job done.
Our backend is mainly C# with SQL Server as the primary data store. We also use Redis, Riak, NServiceBus (MSMQ), Erlang, and Solr throughout our product. We have unique challenges managing tens of millions of documents and guaranteeing our customer’s data is isolated and secure.
Apply through our careers page or contact me directly: firstname.lastname@example.org
#9 of 15Say Yeah! - Toronto - Front-end Dev with an eye towards detail - Full-time - 0-3 Years/Intern - http://sayyeah.com
We're looking for someone empathetic, inquisitive, and interested in sweating the small stuff to join our small team to work on some big projects.
You'll be working directly with co-founder, accomplished interaction design and front-end coder, and all around swell guy, Matt Rintoul, on everything from planning and prototyping through to build-outs and reviews of anything from new startup digital products to big business products including web, mobile, and multi-screen.
Yes, we tackle all sorts of challenges that help align business goals with user needs, delivering products that have a bottom line impact and provide you with quick, measurable feedback to help you see and learn from the impact of your work on a regular basis. Awesome!
Here are some highligths that define your capabilities:
1. Self-starter, interested in tackling the multi-faceted challenges which stem from working on a small, nimble, cross-platform design team;
2. comfortable participating in an iterative/lean/agile design process;
3. design-conscious enough to take a few design standards and templates and extrapolate them into the front-end code of an entire site/product, and;
4. comfortable prototyping and/or working further down the stack to help prove concepts with pre-production experiments and testing.
Full details here: https://www.qimple.com/jobs/frontend-developer-role-at-say-y...
#10 of 15Where: Toronto, Canada, no remote workers. We all sit on the trading floor. You must be eligible to work in Canada.
Who: K2 and Associates. We're one of Canada's more successful hedge funds over the past 13 years.
----------------------------- What you'll do -----------------------------
You will help build out the statistics pipeline and machine learning models to power an algorithmic trading infrastructure. You'll build hidden Markov Models to detect patterns in the equities markets.
1. Build models
2. Back test models
3. We're lucky enough to have already figured out what step 3 is, apply your models in the markets.
----------------------------- Who you are -----------------------------
You are a statistician or speech recognition expert who can turn a model into working code.
You are comfortable with any programming language, you can model in what ever language you like.
----------------------------- What's in it for you... -----------------------------
- a hedge fund is just like a startup except that everyone gets a market salary and bonuses. If' you've always wanted to join a startup but you're too good/in demand to take a pay cut then let's chat.
- get paid to learn algorithmic trading
- be able to invest in our fund
- onsite chef for lunches
If you love a challenge please reach out to me at email@example.com or my email in my profile.
EDIT to comment on how we get work done, we have private offices if you want, but I find most people really enjoy how much you learn buy sitting on the trading floor.
#11 of 15Toronto, Canada - Archon Systems - C# Developer (Mobile / Xamarin) - Full Time
We're a profitable Toronto startup looking for an intermediate C# developer with a passion for mobile. You will be the primary developer working on new mobile apps, writing C# code that works on both Android and iOS using Xamarin.
Our company is tight-knit and full of smart people. We build software to help small businesses and we care a lot about both our customers and employees. Most of the time we work in the office Mondays and Wednesdays, then work from home the other days. More about that here: http://www.archonsystems.com/devblog/2013/09/19/open-offices...
Full job description here: http://www.archonsystems.com/career.html
#12 of 15Milq - TORONTO
Milq is the best place to collect culture (http://milq.com). We're a well funded consumer startup located at Bloor & Avenue Rd.
We're looking to add three exceptional people to our team:
SENIOR FULL STACK ENGINEER: familiarity with nodeJS, mongo and redis.
ANDROID ENGINEER: a least two years of Android development experience.
LEAD DESIGNER: mobile-first design methodology.
Send us an email if interested: firstname.lastname@example.org
#13 of 15Achievers - http://www.achievers.com/ - Toronto (Liberty Village), Fulltime
BI/ETL Developer: http://hire.jobvite.com/m?3Pk5ahwa
Software Test Developer: http://hire.jobvite.com/m?3Sj5ahwc
- 6-8 years of ETL development experience with an ETL tool such as: Informatica, DataStage, Ablnitio, or MS SSIS - 6-8 years of experience developing reports with a BI tool such as MicroStrategy, Cognos, Business Objects, Birst, Tableau, etc. (tabular, dashboards, mobile, or visualization) - 4-6 years of SQL experience - Experience with relational databases (MySQL and Postgres preferred) - Experience with dimensional modeling (dimensions, facts, star and snowflake schemas) - Understanding of OLTP and OLAP , including their differences - Understanding of data warehousing and ETL-specific concepts (landing, staging, lookups, aggregates, batches, transformations, DQ, SCDs, archiving, surrogates, ragged hierarchies, etc.) - Ability to unit-test data (different from testing applications) - Knowledge of performance and tuning techniques for data warehouses - Experience gathering and documenting requirements - B.S. or higher in Computer Science
#14 of 15Mostly Canada (with a couple spots in the USA) in Toronto and Waterloo.
ad tech for the mobile advertising.
C++, Python, JS, AngularJS and Django.
#15 of 15Sprout - http://sproutatwork.com - Toronto, Canada
You will be involved in the full life cycle development from start to finish and responsible for:
- Designing and implementing features for Sprout's hybrid mobile applications for Android, iOS and other mobile platforms
- Owning end-to-end features (including design, development, testing, etc)
- Managing scope, providing solid estimates, and delivering exceptional results
- Developing and maintaining clear documentation (e.g., design and feature specs, test cases)
- Collaborating with QA and other developers to fix issues and maintain the applications
- Going beyond the predefined technologies and suggesting new tools, frameworks and systems
- Finding creative ways to enhance product features while writing less code
- Identify process inefficiencies and find ways to save time on tasks through automation
As an ideal candidate, you have:
- Developed or substantially contributed to the development of mobile apps using Phonegap
- Experience with AngularJS and Ionic (preferably) or another similar framework
- Familiarity with agile, iterative design processes
- Keen attention to detail
- Experience operating in a fast paced, startup environment (ie. working autonomously, needing little direction, comfortable with ambiguity, etc.)
- Can do, positive attitude - Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer, software engineering or relevant proven experience and knowledge Passion about wellness, fitness and transforming current workplace culture
You can apply by email to: email@example.com
We are also looking for QA/Release Engineers, more details at https://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/35911026?trk=vsrp_jobs_c...