#1 of 20Toronto, Canada | Kira Inc | REMOTE ok in US/CAN | Clojure/ClojureScript Web Developer
Kira Inc. is a Toronto-based startup using machine learning to automate legal work. We’re looking for a developer to work on our Clojure and ClojureScript web application. Our stack includes reactive single-page web client code and a distributed backend to handle internal computations.
Our team is small, pragmatic, and inquisitive; we love learning new technologies and balance adoption with good analysis. To us, agile is a verb, not a noun, we adopt what works for us rather than strictly following a particular methodology. We prefer to hire near our downtown Toronto office, but also welcome remote work in a time zone within North America.
Things you could work on:
* Client-side UI code.
* Server-side REST routes.
* Platform and core APIs.
* Document and report generation.
* Distributed processing architecture.
* Scaling and performance optimizations.
You should have knowledge of some of these. Most of all we look for those interested in learning.
Please send us:
* cover letter — tell us why you’re interested and give us a reason to get excited to hire you,
* resume/linkedin profile,
* link to github projects or other work samples.
Email your resume to email@example.com with "Web Developer" in the subject line or apply online at https://kirasystems.com/careers.
#2 of 20Nulogy | Toronto, Ontario, Canada | https://nulogy.com/careers | Rails SaaS for Contract Packagers
Our motto is: "It’s Not Just Business, It’s Personal."
- Enable companies to perform the activities necessary to deliver personalized products more effectively.
- Allow companies in the supply chain network to collaborate and do business together more efficiently.
- Reveal transformative insights about the operations and network dynamics of the industry. Drive data-driven decision making and continuous improvement.
- Deloitte: Technology Fast 50™ Canada - 2015
- Deloitte: Fast 500™ North America - 2015
- Aon Hewitt: Canada’s Best Small and Medium Employers, Platinum status - 2016
- Unlimited vacation. Because your results are your results.
- 100% top-up for 13 weeks for any parent of biological or adopted children
- $750/yr toward any extra help to make your family life easier for parents.
- Free format hack days roughly once a month.
Interview process: coffee date, 1 take home assignment, 1 on site whiteboard, 1 pair programming session
Send your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and put "From YC" in the subject
#3 of 20Top Hat | Toronto, ON, Canada | Full-time
We're a profitable (and valley VC funded by some of the best funds in the world) education startup that helps make class more engaging. We've got some really cool problems to work on and your work would be impacting a huge number of students daily.
If you're not based in Canada or the US but are willing to relocate feel free to contact us, because we do cover relocation expenses and will help you manage the work permit process.
Send your resume/github account to chris at tophat dot com.
#4 of 20Uken Games, downtown Toronto, full time onsite
Uken is looking for talented developers to help us build amazing mobile games. In particular, we have positions available for:
Help us scale our backend to enable a million concurrent players by creating the infrastructure and services (SOA) that underly all of our games. Primary tech is Rails and MySQL, but you'll be working with many more such as Docker, Redis, NSQ, websockets, Hadoop, Spark and InfluxDB.
We are one of the largest independent game studios in Canada, with hundreds of thousands of players a day across mobile and Facebook.
More info including full job postings at http://uken.com
#5 of 20Ultimate Software | Ft. Lauderdale, FL - Atlanta, GA - Toronto, CA - Remote | Full time | (www.ultimatesoftware.com/careers)
What do Outback Steakhouse, Pep Boys, and the Major League Baseball Network all have in common? They are paid with the software you could be building! At Ultimate Software, we build a cloud-based enterprise human capital management solutions. Everything from Recruitment to Retirement.
We are growing our Product Development team like crazy. We need to make UltiPro the best it can be for our customers (over 2,600!), and in order to do that, we need additional talent. What a great problem to have, right? That’s where you come in!
Ultimate Software is hiring for a large number of full time development positions, including:
We have unbelievable benefits/401K package, so apply to Fortune’s 2016 #1 Best Tech Company to Work For today. Here is a link to our Java Software Engineer role we have available, but feel free to check out the other opportunities on our site as well! http://tiny.cc/gcw8ay
- Software Engineers (Java, C#, Golang, Python), - Software Test Engineers, and more.
#6 of 20Format (https://format.com/) | Full-Time | Onsite (Toronto, ON, Canada)
Position: Senior Full Stack Rails Developer
About our team: http://wayswework.io/features/format
About this role: You’ll be part of our 10 member development team working to:
- Plan, implement, test, and ship new features - Architect and deploy new infrastructure - Investigate performance issues and execute improvements - Analyze technology proposals and advise - Hunt down bugs and fix root causes - Support the efforts of our design, front-end, support, and marketing teams
Why join Format:
- We strive to deliver a world-class experience for our customers by delivering exceptional work that we’re proud of. - We emphasize a highly collaborative and egalitarian environment. Everyone builds things and collaborates across departments. The best solution can come from anywhere or anyone. - We’re fierce defenders of a healthy work-life balance. We work smart, not long. - And much, much more!
Check out the full job posting at https://format.com/jobs/full-stack-rails-developer
Apply here: https://format.typeform.com/to/XLBXcF
#7 of 20Kash (YC S14) | withkash.com | Full Stack Engineer | ONSITE in San Francisco, CA / Waterloo, ON, Canada / Toronto, ON, Canada
We're on a mission to build a new payment network as an alternative to credit cards.
Why? Credit cards impose a hidden tax on everything. The profit margin of your average neighborhood store is under 2%. A typical grocery store’s operating margin is around 1.7%. On the other hand, the typical cost of processing all payments is about 2%. As Priceonomics puts it, "Credit card fees are 2% or more of nearly pure profit."
There has been many innovations built on top of the existing credit card network, but none of those fundamentally changes the equation. Kash is changing the equation.
With the former CEO of Visa leading our board, and all the momentum we're seeing, we're confident that a new network can be built. Come chat with us to learn more if you think this is a worthy cause.
We currently use: GCE/AWS, Node.js, PostgreSQL, Cassandra, Docker, Kubernetes, Angular.js, React, Objective-C for iOS, Android
We're looking for engineers with a demonstrated ability to learn and past experience building both scalable and maintainable software.
For more details and to apply, please visit http://withkash.com/careers. Please mention that you saw us on HN.
#8 of 20Shopify | Canada (Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Waterloo) | Full-time | Interns (Fall) | Onsite | VISA At Shopify we build a platform that allow entrepreneurs from around the world to quickly and easily setup a shop that will scale with them. We cater both to merchants who are just starting out and well established brands who need a reliable platform that will handle any traffic they can throw at it. We're working on products that make it easier for entrepreneurs to reach their customers and help them make data driven decisions. Shopify is built on Ruby on Rails running on a stack composed of Docker, Golang, Python, Mysql, Kafka, HDFS and Apache Spark. If you're interested in building tools that empower Entrepreneurs come take a look at who we are and what we're doing https://jobs.lever.co/shopify?lever-via=XBuWsYM_Q2 https://github.com/Shopify.
#9 of 20Wave | Toronto, Canada | Fulltime Wave is a top Toronto startup backed by amazing Silicon Valley investors ($42million USD raised). We build an ecosystem of back-office applications (like invoicing, payments, accounting, payroll, etc) for startups and small businesses.
Apply here: https://www.waveapps.com/about-us/jobs/ and mention Hacker News in the submission!
At Wave you will: * Build and maintain Wave’s hosting and data infrastructure, following infrastructure-as-code principles * Develop and share expertise in the our products and platforms, and use that knowledge to increase performance, availability, and observability * Work with delivery teams to understand their operational wants and needs * Develop tooling to support continuous delivery, rapid deployment, and developer empowerment * Take on both coding and system administration tasks * Participate in an on-call rotation, including off-hours and holidays * Show and live our team values of cooperation, continuous improvement, automation, cross-functional thinking, and empathy What we're looking for in you: * Comfort working on the command line and using common Linux tools (incl. shell scripting) * Experience with Linux system administration and configuration, especially on Ubuntu and/or CentOS * Familiarity with configuration management tools and concepts * Knowledge of fundamental operating systems and networking concepts – HTTP, TCP, DNS, NTP, etc. * Comfort working in at least one programming language * Interesting experience, or a relevant academic degree What we offer: * Top tier compensation (including stock options) * Mentorship and career development * Unlimited snacks and beverages * Fitness allowance * Annual conference budget
#10 of 20500px | Toronto, Canada | Full time | Onsite
500px is a photo community and marketplace for discovering, sharing, buying, and selling inspiring photography powered by creative people around the world. We are well funded, backed by great investors and the company is growing super fast. Join us and help us build the very best place to show and sell photos.
Our architecture is a Ruby on Rails monolith surrounded by a constellation of Go based microservices. There are a wide variety of technologies and distributed systems in use, and you will always be welcome and encouraged to learn something new and to touch any part of the stack. We are passionate about what we ship, we care deeply about our craft and our users, and absolutely everything at 500px is made with love.
We are hiring many roles and disciplines, but we are especially looking for:
- Devops and site reliability engineers
- Backend and frontend engineers
- Data engineers
- Tooling engineers
Check us out and let's build something cool: https://about.500px.com/jobs/
#11 of 20ASL19 | Toronto (Onsite)
We are a research and development lab building technology for social good. Ranging from access to information solutions for bypassing Internet censorship to government transparency and accountability projects.
- Android Developer (https://goo.gl/PZixm6)
- Backend Dev (https://goo.gl/FZYGIH)
- Security Researcher/Malware Analyst (https://goo.gl/cnSlfi)
- Competitive salary and benefits.
- All the hardware you need for your coding.
- Catered lunch and healthy snacks.
- An open culture that welcomes ideas and independence and values dedication.
Email us your resume and a cover letter to: apply at asl19.org
#12 of 20Resolver, Inc. | Toronto, Edmonton | ONSITE
#yyz: React/Redux Front End Developer http://www.resolver.com/career-opportunities/react-front-end...
#yyz: Node.js Developer http://www.resolver.com/career-opportunities/node-js-develop...
#13 of 20TouchBistro | On-Site | Fulltime | Toronto, Canada
* We are a well established, rapidly growing startup focusing on the pos market for restaurants, coffeeshops, and bars across the world.
* Are stack includes react, rails, swift. We have big plans for the future and need a product owner to help us tackle that vision.
* We are looking for an experienced product owner comfortable working within scrum.
* We offer competitive salaries, benefits, work/life balance, great vacations and most importantly an opportunity make strong impact on the product.
* If interested please send me a message (email@example.com)
#14 of 20Okta | San Francisco, Toronto, Seattle etc. We are builders and owners We believe we are solving some extremely big problems. Join a group of amazing humans who thrive on making customers—and each other—successful.
Benefits: Happy hours Ping pong Lounges Food Global offices HQ in San Francisco's bustling SOMA district Competitive salary Benefits, perks, and stock options Flexible time off Weekly All-Hands Hackathons Volunteer events
Please see all open positions: https://www.okta.com/company/careers/
Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
#15 of 20PagerDuty - San Francisco and Toronto, ONSITE
If you're looking for a start up that's growing quickly by solving a real problem, we're making the process of fixing technology problems better. PagerDuty is used by thousands of customers globally, from startups like Github, Instagram, Airbnb, Box, and Rackspace, to Fortune 500 companies like HP, Intel, Microsoft, and Nike. We've got ambitious plans to grow and are seeking passionate people to join our crusade against downtime. We provide a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits and opportunities for career growth.
* We're hiring smart devs regardless of language in Toronto and San Francisco.
* We're looking for a PM to own and grow our API and extensibility story: http://pduty.me/beanapipm.
* We're also hiring for our internal IT team if you're looking to work on an IT team that's loved and respected.
* And a dozen others on https://www.pagerduty.com/careers/.
* Competitive salaries and company equity.
* Generous paid vacation (3 weeks your first year, 4 weeks afterwards), unlimited sick days, regular holidays.
* Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plan options for you and your spouse/family.
* Daily catered lunches and free snacks, drinks and beer.
* Weekly game nights, monthly hack days and impromptu ping-pong battles.
* Convenient office location, close to major public transit.
More about us:
PagerDuty is "9-1-1 dispatch" for IT, helping operations engineers and devops resolve problems with their IT systems as quickly as possible. We’re backed by some of the Valley’s best investors, including Y Combinator and Andreessen Horowitz. We're based in San Francisco, California with a presence in Toronto, Canada. We're obsessive about reliability and ensuring that when your systems are down, the right people get notified every time.
#16 of 20akira.md | Toronto | Onsite iOS & Android Developers: 80,000-120,000CAD Akira is a doctor in your pocket. We’re on a mission to make world-class healthcare convenient and accessible to all of humanity. With Akira, Canadians can consult with physicians on-demand by secure text or video. They have mobile access to their health records, including labs, imaging, doctor’s notes, and prescriptions. And they have a Personal Health Assistant who will focus on preventing illness, rather than simply treating it. Based in Toronto, we’re building an interdisciplinary team of physicians, developers, data scientists and designers to tackle hard problems in healthcare technology. Our mobile health platform - currently in beta across Canada - will bring much-needed change to a medical system still reliant on fax machines and paper charts. Our long-term goal is to double the average global human lifespan by automating the delivery of medical advice and treatment. If you're passionate about moving healthcare forward, email me at email@example.com or apply at http://akira.md/about.html#careers
#17 of 20VarageSale | Toronto, ON | Full-Time
VarageSale is an online marketplace that brings local people together to buy, sell and connect with their neighbours. Our addicted user base of millions is growing rapidly and we're in the midst of a significant growth push.
Looking for Backend Ruby, iOS, Android. You can look at all the positions here: http://grnh.se/bcfi7n
#18 of 20Mashape - SF, Toronto, London
Makers of the Open Source API Gateway Kong: https://getkong.org/
#19 of 20Unata (unata.com) is a VC-backed, Toronto-based startup in the enterprise retail space. We are building the retail experience of the future. We work with large retailers to power their digital experiences, while personalizing each shopper’s content and offers based on their purchase history. We’re connecting the physical shopping experience with the best of the digital world. We are growing fast and need to scale our core product team.
Backend: Python (Flask, SQLAlchemy, Numpy, Pandas), PostgreSQL, Cassandra, Jenkins CI, Redis, Memcached, ElasticSearch
Frontend (including Mobile): Angular.js, Sass, Grunt
- Platform Engineer > http://unata.com/platform-eng
- Director Of Data Science > https://unata.com/careers/director-of-data-science/
- Data Science Engineer > http://unata.com/data-sci-eng
- Data Developer > http://unata.com/data-developer
- UI/UX Designer > https://unata.com/careers/ui-ux-designer/
- Director Of Integrations > https://unata.com/careers/director-of-integrations/
- Devops Engineer > https://unata.com/careers/devops-engineer/
- Integrations Architect -> https://unata.com/careers/platform-integrations-architect/
Why you should work for us:
- Competitive compensation and stock options, comprehensive health benefits, flexible paid vacation
- Relaxed work environment in downtown Toronto (King & Portland), Work-from-home-Wednesdays, fun company activities
- Opportunity to make a big impact in digital retail! Your work will be seen and used by millions of retail customers!
#20 of 20Pivotal | ONSITE at many locations worldwide | Engineers, Designers, Product Managers, Pre/Post-Sales Engineers, Ops, Sales
We value aptitude over alma mater, empathy over APIs. It doesn't matter whether your resumé says PHP or PhD: if you're smart, empathetic and know some stuff, we want to work with you.
Pivotal's goal is to change the way the world makes software and we kinda sorta really mean it. We're broken into three basic divisions: Pivotal Labs (yes, that Pivotal Labs), Pivotal Cloud Foundry and Pivotal Big Data. Moving between divisions, temporarily or permanently, is possible.
We have offices in San Francisco, New York City, Santa Monica/LA, Palo Alto, Seattle, Beaverton, Boulder, Denver, Chicago, Boston, Washington DC, Atlanta, Austin, Toronto, London, Dublin, Tokyo, Sydney, Berlin, Singapore and Beijing, with more coming.
We are constantly thinking about how we work and how we can work more sensibly, effectively and enjoyably.
-- Pivotal Labs, from which the company draws its name and cultural seed, helps clients to become better at development. For engineering we are religiously lean and agile. In practice that means we pair program and TDD every line of code from the outside. Our product managers are fantastic at keeping products sharply focused, our designers are masters from users to pixels.
-- Cloud Foundry solves application deployment and management. We're the main contributors to the Cloud Foundry project. We're constantly improving the leading opensource PaaS -- our distribution has the fastest-growing sales of any opensource product ever.
Except for integrated upstream code, every line is pair programmed and TDD'd. We dogfood the cutting edge of the technology on our own commercial public cloud (Pivotal Web Services). It works because we took the XP and Lean DNA of Pivotal Labs and scaled it up to build the best cloud platform available.
-- Big Data is our suite of battled-hardened products, now open sourced. Greenplum tackles massive datasets with the comfort of PostgreSQL. Apache HAWQ (incubating) brings Greenplum's distributed query planner to Hadoop. Gemfire, donated as Apache Geode (incubating), is an in-memory distributed grid with years of high performance in high-stakes systems.
At our offices we have free breakfast, weekly tech talks, good benefits and competitive pay. Ping pong isn't mandatory, but it's popular. I think west-coast ping pong is harder to beat, but east-coast style is more entertaining to watch. The beer fridge has more IPA than I prefer but I guess that's life in paradise.
You can see the available jobs and apply through our website: https://pivotal.io/careers. If you do, please mention my name. You can also email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to answer any questions you might have. Either of these helps me score one of our referral bonsues (did I mention our generous referral scheme?)
For what it's worth, I'm just an engineer, so my replies might not be immediate. I hope that's OK.